2012-12-29

Homemade Butter

Ok so I suck. I know I promised to keep up with things, but it's literally been non-stop busy and sickness. Plus Emma's been having some medical issues that we've been concerned with taking care of.

Anyway, I found a bit of time tonight to try something fun, and although my counters (wall, face, sink, clean dishes, stove, etc..) paid for it, it was totally worth it.

Aside from some rolls and some cookies, I haven't had a real chance to play with my KitchenAid.

So I had some leftover whipping cream from the holidays and I decided to make some butter. No way right? Yeah that's what I said too.

But prepared to be amazed by my butterball (no not the turkey)





Awesome right?

Ok so it's not some wonder of amazement, it's just butter (and a crappy Iphone picture) but it's still awesome.

So enough rambling.

The butter recipe is super simple. For this ball it was one pint of heavy whipping cream and 1/2 tsp salt. I attached my whisk attachment, set the thing on 10, and let it go.

You will want a splatter guard. I used mine and it still went all over. It's going to be liquid, then it's going to turn into whip cream, and then, just when you feel like you've failed and all hope is lost, it will start to look like this curdled mass of yuck. A few more cycles and you'll hear it start sloshing, so you'll know its done. If you have some small handheld strainer it will come in handy here as it won't all be in one ball. Get out as much as possible and wrap it in a cheesecloth (or paper towel, I didn't have cheesecloth.). Squeeze it well to strain as much of the buttermilk out as possible. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Considering I just made this tonight, I don't know how long it lasts but I wouldn't suggest leaving it for more than 2 weeks.


Now there are some awesome things you can do with this. You can leave the salt out and use it for baked goods.

You can add herbs and spices for flavor. Some of my favorites are rosemary and garlic (good on rolls) and garlic and chive (awesome in or on mashed potatoes). Obviously we like garlic.


Another thing that I got out of this was a cup of buttermilk. Which I'm going to use in pancakes tomorrow morning.

So this works awesome with a KitchenAid, you can also do smaller fun things like this with your kids and mason jars. Just shake shake shake until it separates. The kids will have a blast (and you'll tone up those arms!). What I don't know is how it will do with a hand mixer.

So if you're willing to brave the mess ;) try out the hand mixer and let us know how it worked!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. I just threw out some spoiled cream - I usually use a ton and for some reason this week I didn't use much. I wish I had read this a few days ago and used it up! Next time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...